It is so difficult meeting new people, for anyone. When you make the decision to go to university, many people are going to a new city, and a school where their close friends aren’t going.
It can be daunting, essentially leaving the group that you have grown with and explored with. This is no way saying that you won’t be friends with them anymore, I am just saying that the security that you had won’t be there as you are in a completely different situation.
Your new flatmates, classmates, accommodation mates, they might get you and your personality they might not, but be rest assured that everyone is in the same boat, and at the end of the day, humans just want the feeling of love and protection, and friends give us this.
The freedom and love to be unapologetically ourselves. In uni, we need this to escape the stress of uni. It is a very stressful time, and having friends just to get drunk with, laugh with and watch Netflix, is honestly a great escape.
There are many different ways you can meet new people and get ready for your time at university:
- Look at societies and clubs that you can join – If you look at the student union page, you will see a list of clubs that you can join, as well as sports. These are a great way to find people who have the same interests as you, and that way there won’t be as much awkward conversation. Not to mention they have good nights out, if you are into that sort of thing.
- Look on the Facebook pages for your course – Before I started foundation year I went on the Facebook page for Journalism and either typed a post or found one of someone who was going to be in my year. We then started talking on messenger, and the first day we recognised each other and we sat next to one another. Then we went around the fair. To this day this girl is one of my best mates. It’s a great way to meet someone before, it cuts the awkwardness and you have someone to sit next to. This is also a great idea to meet your new flatmates. Go on the accommodation page, type your flat number or look for someone who already has and you can create a group chat, already getting to know the people you’re going to live with for 9 months.
- Go out – Go on a night out with your flatmates, this is what I did and we all became close. Just remember to pace yourself, if you don’t feel like you trust them yet. One my first student night out, I didn’t drink a lot, as it was actually my second night out ever, as I only turn 18 in July.
- If you don’t like to go out suggest other activities – suggest a game night, movie night, order a take-away, and just talk. The sooner you speak to people, flat and course mates, then it will be easier for you.
- Meet people in the same building as you – so you have other people you can chill with. Knock on the flat next door, invite them round. The rapport you build will these people will make it easier if someone is being too loud and should reduce the means for confrontation.
- If you know someone whose there, meet up with them – I had a friend who went to the same uni, from college, and it was so much more easier to integrate into the life of a student, cause there was a familiar face there. I knew her, trusted her, so when we went out it was fun and easy. Not to mention that there was someone there that I could talk to and hang out with.
- Get to know your course mates – If I didn’t get to know my coursemates then my time at uni would have been shit. I have met the best people and I could not have succeeded without them. You are going to be with these people for a potential of three years, if no one drops out. So just ask to go to the student pub, the cafe during lunch. Try to hang out with them, because these will become the mates you keep.
Those are my tips for meeting new people, please let me know your tips and if these have helped you!
On the topic of friends, I just want to shout out all the girls I met that have become my best mates and just to thank them for putting up with me! So thank you Erryn, Anne-Marie, Sarah, Finola, Vienna and Niccy! There are so many more people I have met, but these are my faves ❤ Love you all ❤
Katy Nella x